Saturday, April 21, 2007

Online Learning

I really like online learning or distance education. The reason is that I have more time to think about discussion questions before I answer them. I think online learning will be perfect for international students and introvert learners because both kinds of learners will need more time and need to feel comfortable enough to discuss in the class.

My educational technology philosophy is learning by doing and diversified curriculum. Online learning will give students more time to think before answering or discussing the questions. They can also learn at any time they would like to. Communication between a teacher and students are important. Online teachers will have to work harder and be available to answer students’ questions. The teacher who would like to achieve at online teaching should integrate curricula (November, 2001, p. 87).

I have downloaded and tried to play on SecondLife.com. I am not really sure that how this game is going to empower myself or my students. I think the game is for meeting and talking with people and the type is like SIMS game. The difference between Second Life and Skype or other IMs is you will meet people that are not on your list. I think it is quite dangerous for youngsters if they meet some bad guys online and they do not even know their real names. I was online yesterday and I met two people. I wanted to talk with them but I could not because they spoke Spanish and I do not know Spanish.




Reference:
November, A. (2001). Empowering students with technology. USA: SkyLight Training and Publishing.

No comments: