Friday, February 23, 2007

ETEC 524: My vision posting 2/20

This week in-class assignments were very interesting. I have learned how to create the website in Dreamweaver. Although it just started, I felt fun working with it. The important rule of designing website is KISS = Keep It Short and Simple (Dr. Wickersham’s Week 6 lecture). I have to study rubrics and the website designs some more before I will create one for this class. It is very challenging to design a website because I have never done it before. There are a lot of rules and recommendations that I need to know and learn.

Empower Teachers with Technology of Michael Romano in Chapter 2 interests me in one point. It is about Right/Left Brain. Right brain deals with images and left one does with words. As a teacher, although we have to understand the differences of learners, we often use the way that we like to learn. I am a right brain-dominant learner so I respond well to pictures and graphics. When I taught, I used flowcharts, tables, pictures, and so on that I thought it would help my students understand better. I did not use different approaches for left/right brain-dominant learners at all. I probably made problems for my left brain-dominant students.

Empowering Students with Technology of Alan November in Chapter 2 presents several options to enhance students with different kinds of technology such as fax machine and video conferencing. I think video conferencing is very interesting. Students will be able to see things that are exactly different from their countries by using it. For example, if I say Thai fruit named “mangosteen”, American students would not know what it is. If they can use video conferencing to contact with Thai students, Thais will be able to show them what it looks like. It is a good way to teach different cultures as well. The book talks about fax buddies. I think video conferencing buddies will be a good idea for students in different nationalities to learn other cultures.


Mangosteens








No comments: